Sunday 28 February 2016

The Art Of Dieting Without Dieting.

Despite the fact I understand in the power of healthy, balanced eating and consistency in exercise and fitness in order to maintain a healthy, non-fluctuating body weight; I'm still a girl and I still get influenced by diets and fads, especially when I'm not really feeling 100%. I'm lucky enough to have a brother who is (almost) a fully qualified nutritionist, and more than happy to bring me back to reality when I confess I'm going to start a juice cleanse or a carb free diet. 

However, the majority of us aren't so lucky. Most people have no one to turn to for nutritional advice, so we ogle at dodgy self-confessed dietary gurus on the internet (who don't even hold a personal training qualification) and Instagram chicks who live off 20 bananas a day. Mixed signals coming in from left, right and centre about what we should and shouldn't eat, what time is best to eat or whether to even eat at all (don't you know that juicing is the way to go?!?); no wonder we have no idea what to do! 

As women, we cycle through phases of feeling like slender, elegant goddesses floating on clouds, to feeling like a baby elephant stomping through mud (thanks menstrual cycle).  We also have the tendency to go go go, which can lead to sloppy food choices and both mental and muscle fatigue.  So when you've been too busy to concentrate 100% on your diet, or there have been a few too many opportunities lately to have a few extra glasses of prosecco or that extra piece of chocolate (cough valentines day cough), rather than spunking money on an expensive juice cleanse or burning every carbohydrate in your kitchen, I have something that will help you...

EAT FRESH & MINDFULLY. RESPECT YOUR BODY.  

What do I mean by that? Well, first of all, I could go on a rant and list things that you should eat, things you shouldn't eat. But then I would be enforcing a 'diet' on you, and a single nutritional profile is not suited to multiple people - you need to find out what works for you.  Personally, when I eat 3 home-made meals a day, with one or two snacks, including plenty of lean protein, fresh veggies, small amounts of fruit and fats and drink plenty of water, I feel good.  Others may feel better on higher carb ratio, it just depends on the personal demands of each individual.  But essentially, a balanced diet of whole foods will work well for anyone.  I believe it's important to enjoy the food you're eating too, make sure your food tastes delicious! Bland broccoli and chicken will get you abs, but it's boring as hell and who wants to eat that all day every day? Play with flavours and herbs, play with colours! The more satisfying your meals are, the less likely you'll be tempted to snack on nutritionally void foods.  


Secondly, I believe that exercise is a form of self-respect.  We've all heard it a thousand times, but you're only given one body in this life time, and I want to ensure mine is fit, strong and healthy.  And as much as exercising is great and I encourage it daily, taking some time out every now and again is not only good for the mind, it helps reduce levels of cortisol in the body and allows muscles time to recover and repair themselves.  Try and stretch every day, yoga practice is brilliant for elongating muscles, reducing chance of injury and relaxing your mind.  

So before you jump on the diet bandwagon or reach for your green juice, be honest with yourself.  Is this quick fix going to make you feel better in the long run?

I know my brother set me in the right direction this morning, I hope I can do the same for you! 

V x