Tuesday 8 March 2016

Competitive Women, When Did It Become A Bad Thing?

In celebration of International Women's Day, I thought it appropriate to approach a topic I've recently had exposure to - Competitive Women.  Over the weekend I was involved in a netball tournament and got to play alongside some brilliant women to win the cup, in a tight fought, competitive final.  To myself and my team mates, this final was so incredibly important, and we were so proud of one another when we pulled together for the win. Being surrounded with like minded, sporty women, I felt 100% free to be my competitive self over the entire weekend. 

HOWEVER....maybe it's because we don't share the same passion for the sport, or have vastly different hobbies and personalities, but I have encountered many women who frown upon being competitive, and make you feel like a dork for being competitive.  I'm unsure as to whether they perceive it as un-lady-like or being aggressive, but these girls will snortle and turn their noses up to anyone acting mildly competitive.  

When I looked up the term 'competitive' I found mostly negative connotations: 

"having or displaying a strong desire to be more successful than others"

Here's where I have my issue. When did being competitive by nature, become a bad thing? Being competitive might mean that you strive to do well and succeed, it doesn't have to mean that you're happy to crush everything and everyone else in your path!   We all know that if it was a game of life or death, the most competitive would eventually win, because they would want to.  

And secondly, since when is it OK for men to be competitive (and for women to celebrate a man's competitiveness) and not for women? Aren't we just fuelling the stereotype of being the more submissive sex, relying on our male counterparts to hunt and gather for us? 

Don't get me wrong, some people are born un-competitive, they have no real desire to beat anyone else, or win any races; and that is great! Others are born with a desire to be the best at everything they put their minds to, on or off the sporting field; and that's great too.  We have to remember that being competitive doesn't mean that you want to see others fail.  I'm highly competitive when it comes to sport, but I also love to see others succeed in life.  

Being a competitive woman doesn't make you any less womanly.  Because you're happy to rumble for a ball or tackle down an opponent doesn't mean you're manly or aggressive.  Take a look at the Lioness, not only does she hunt and gather for her lion family, she also forms a tight knit female 'team' where they stick together for the good of the pride.   However, it is also known that a potential new member of a lion's pride, has more trouble being accepted if it is a SHE, as the lionesses try to keep her out....


Perhaps, if we are opposed to the competitive women around us, it is because we feel threatened by them.  And then I guess it all comes down to knocking what we're afraid of due to lack of self confidence.  Why does it always come back to that? 

In a world where stereotypes and insecurities will always cloud our judgement, I say embrace your inner lioness! If you're a competitive chick, then good on you! If you're not, then that's great too! I suppose the most important thing to remember is, as we all strive to reach the top (cause let's be honest, we all are) it's better to be surrounded by friends and teammates, than crushing people in your path and creating enemies. 

Roar ;) 

V x